Every spring, Quincy Senior Residences hosts the Savvy Senior Expo, a one-of-a-kind opportunity for seniors to gather information and resources to improve and enrich their quality of life.
Representatives from nearly 40 nonprofit organizations, city agencies, and businesses are on hand to provide information about the goods and services they provide to New York City’s seniors.
In recent years, Alzheimer’s Association, Brooklyn Public Library, City Harvest, Visiting Nurse Service of NY, and other vendors have conducted workshops throughout the day, while other vendors offer free health screenings, useful information, and fun giveaways.
Past speakers have included Congressman Hakeem Jeffries, State Senator Velmanette Montgomery, NYS Assembly Member Annette Robinson, NYS Assembly Member Walter Mosley, Borough President Eric Adams, Council Member Robert Cornegy, former Council Member Albert Vann, and District Attorney Ken Thompson, who spoke to the crowd about the importance of providing support and resources, such as the Senior Expo, to Bed-Stuy’s elder residents.
Our seniors are an invaluable resource to this community. Through events like the Savvy Senior Expo, we aim to help them maintain their health, finances, social interaction, and overall quality of life.
At the Expo, senior-friendly organizations share information and offer the following services:
- Free blood pressure screenings
- Computer lab demos
- Technology demonstrations from the Senior Planet Mobile Van
- Family Care Giving Resources
- Elder Care Resources
- Cooking demos
- SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) Food Stamp Application Assistance
Vendors often include:
- AARP Brooklyn Chapter
- The Aging Improvement District (AID)
- Brooklyn Public Library
- The Coalition for the Improvement of Bedford Stuyvesant (CIBS)
- Skye Medical Supplies
- Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office
- Midwood Ambulance Service
- Center for Hearing and Communication
- City Harvest
- Five Borough Home Care
- Heart to Heart Home Care
- Council of Senior Centers and Services of New York
- Department of Health and Hygiene/Brooklyn District
- NYC Housing Preservation and Development
- Paul J. Cooper Human Services