Since the founding of BSDC in 1995, we have assisted countless people through our five program areas:
- Developed the first condominium project in Bedford-Stuyvesant.
- Developed more than 600 units of affordable housing and sold homeownership units below market value; currently more than 100 units are in the development pipeline.
- Trained nearly 1,200 local residents in our technology-learning center.
- Built the Quincy Senior Residences, a 94-unit building that provides safe, affordable rental housing for low- and moderate-income seniors, enabling them to function independently.
- Provided hundreds of workshops on mortgage readiness, buying your first home, and home preservation, as well as one-on-one foreclosure prevention counseling.
- Created the PopUP Shop program, connecting local entrepreneurs with retail space in the neighborhood.
- Led revitalization efforts along three secondary commercial corridors in Bedford-Stuyvesant: Tompkins Avenue, Bedford Avenue, and Malcolm X Boulevard.
- Led a façade improvement program to help local businesses upgrade their storefronts.
- Developed the first comprehensive financial literacy program in Bedford-Stuyvesant targeted to both high school students and adults.
- Provided technical assistance to dozens of local entrepreneurs, assisting them with access to capital, marketing, government services, and business locations.
- Organized beautification projects to improve the overall cleanliness and appearance of the neighborhood, such as Flower Bed-Stuy.
- Sponsored community and youth events to highlight the strength and promise of the community.
- Formed, and provided technical assistance to, dozens of block and tenant associations to support residents, strengthen neighborhoods, and increase safety.